Sally Hayden is an award-winning journalist and photographer currently focused on migration, conflict and humanitarian crises.
She has worked with VICE, VICE News, CNN International, the Financial Times Magazine, TIME, the Thomson Reuters Foundation, BBC, the Irish Times, the Guardian, Magnum Photos, Maclean’s magazine, the Sunday Times, Newsweek, RTE, ELLE, Marie Claire, ZEIT Online, the Independent, HUCK, the New Statesman and ITV News, and had stories republished on six continents by outlets including the New York Times, Voice of America, the Times of India, Euronews, Huffington Post, the Globe and Mail, ABC News and TeleSUR English, among many others.
HEFAT certified, Sally has reported from countries including Nigeria, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, France, Germany, Belgium, Burkina Faso, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Lebanon, Jordan, Panama, Cambodia, the Gambia, Hungary, Rwanda, Malawi, Ethiopia, Madagascar, the US and Uganda. Her writing has been translated into nine languages and she has appeared as a guest on national and international media. She is a member of the Frontline Freelance Register.
Sally has a law degree from University College Dublin and an MSc in International Politics from Trinity College, Dublin, where her thesis was on post-conflict societies and theories of civil war resolution. She is currently a visiting lecturer at the London College of Communication, and has worked as a trainer at the BBC Academy and volunteered as a mentor for the Refugee Journalism Project.
Interview: IJNET’s Journalist of the Month
- Named as a US News Media Alliance ‘Rising Star’, 2018.
- Speaker at the International Journalism Festival, Perugia, 2018.
- Twice longlisted for One World Media’s refugee reporting award, 2018.
- Longlisted for One World Media’s digital media award, 2018.
- Finalist for Amnesty International’s Gaby Rado Award for best new journalist, 2018.
- Longlisted for Amnesty International media award for best feature, 2018.
- Selected for the Women in Journalism mentoring programme, 2018.
- Shortlisted for ‘Young Journalist of the Year’ at the Irish Journalism Awards, 2017.
- Award from the Mary Raftery Refugee Crisis Media Fund, 2017.
- International Journalists’ Network ‘Journalist of the Month’, May, 2017.
- Shortlisted for One World Media’s ‘New Voice’ award, 2017.
- One of a team awarded a Journalists for Transparency grant, 2017.
- Included in Stellar Magazine’s ‘100 Irish Women Who Inspire Us’, 2017.
- Fellow at the International Anti-Corruption Conference in Panama, 2016.
- Best National/World News Site for VICE News at the Online Media Awards, 2016.
- Scholarship recipient for a Magnum Photos Professional Practice Weekend, 2014.
- Winner of the Suas 8×8 Photography Competition, 2014.
- Winner of a 2014 Simon Cumbers Media Award, which funded a trip to Rwanda to write about media freedom.
- Winner of the 2013 Simon Cumbers Media Award for Print Journalism, which funded a trip to Malawi to write about women’s rights.
- Nominated for ‘Journalist of the Year’ and ‘Travel Writer of the Year’ at the National Student Media Awards, 2012.
- Shortlisted for ‘Features (Arts and Culture) Journalist of the Year’ at the National Student Media Awards, 2010.
- Winner of the Irish Star Young Journalist Competition, 2006.